Whoa! Averaging 66,000 Unique Weekly Readers! 

Business

Dramatic Scenes As Man Collapses In The Dock At Coleraine Courthouse & Was Taken Away By Ambulance

1 Mins read

PICTURE : MARK JAMIESON

There were dramatic scenes at Coleraine Courthouse on Friday after a man accused of going on a burglary blitz in the Glens of Antrim collapsed in the dock and was taken away by ambulance.

Michael Thomas Cullen (23), of Lagmore Dale, Dunmurry, near Belfast, had been in court beside a co-accused David Anthony Connors (29), of Old Forge, Dunmurry.

The court heard that at the time of the alleged burglary blitz Connors had been “released on compassionate bail” from prison. It is understood Connors had been on remand in prison in connection with an incident in which he was accused of trying to break into the home of two pensioners with an axe.

At Coleraine Court on Friday the charges had just been read to Cullen and a court clerk was reading out the matters being faced by Connors when Cullen appeared to stumble and had to be grabbed by prison officers to stop him slumping to the ground.

An ambulance was then tasked for Cullen before his lawyer could make a bail application. The men were in court in relation to a series of alleged burglaries overnight on Wednesday into Thursday this week at homes at Layde Drive, Bellisk Drive, Middlepark Avenue and Coast Road in Cushendall when items taken included car keys, bottles of gin and vodka.

There were also alleged burglaries at Glenville Road, Cushendun and Bay Road, Carnlough. The men were also charged with various driving offences including aggravated vehicle taking.

One of the charges faced by Connors was that he failed to return to Maghaberry Prison on May 20 after being released earlier that day on £500 bail. At court on Friday a police officer said he believed he could connect the defendants to the charges.

A solicitor for Connors said no bail application was being made for his client. The lawyer said Connors had been released on “compassionate bail”.

Connors was remanded in custody by District Judge Benita Boyd to appear back at the same court via video link in June. Cullen’s case has been adjourned to Ballymena Court on May 31.

11837 posts

About author
An article that is attributed to the Causeway Coast Community Team has either involved multiple authors, written by a contributor or the main body of content is from a press release. Got a news-related tip you’d like to see covered on Causeway Coast Community? Email us - [email protected]
Articles
Related posts
BusinessNI News

Triovia to Launch a Revolutionary Digital Media Web-Based Knowledge Platform This February

2 Mins read
FacebookTwitterPinterestWhatsAppA digital knowledge platform is launching a beta release in February that is set to revolutionise local businesses. The platform provides cutting-edge…
BusinessLocal NewsNI News

Mallon seeking further powers to assist taxi drivers financially impacted during Covid-19

1 Mins read
FacebookTwitterPinterestWhatsAppInfrastructure Minister Nichola Mallon is seeking further powers to open another financial assistance scheme for taxi drivers. The Minister has written to…
BusinessNI News

£113million issued to over 10,000 businesses – Murphy

1 Mins read
FacebookTwitterPinterestWhatsAppThe Department of Finance has paid £113million to over 10,000 businesses under its Localised Restrictions Support Scheme. Top up payments began issuing…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *