Causeway Coast and Glens Borough Council’s Environmental Health Department is raising awareness of the risks costumes and accessories can pose to children at Halloween.
Toy dress-up clothing can burn rapidly when accidentally ignited by contact with an open flame, such as a candle or open fire. This can cause serious injury, burns and potentially death. Children are especially vulnerable in circumstances when they are playing without adult supervision.
This Halloween, parents are asked to follow some simple advice to ensure everyone’s safety.
Check that all Halloween and fancy-dress costumes you buy carry a UKNI and CE or a CE mark on the label.
As with all clothing, Halloween and fancy-dress outfits should always be kept away from fire, lit candles and all other naked flames.
If lit candles are part of your celebrations always follow their safety guidelines, and remember:
- Always supervise children and pets if using lit candles
- Do not allow children to carry, play, reach over, light or be near lit candles
- Never leave a burning candle unattended
- Remember always to extinguish a candle completely after use
- Take care when using candles at Halloween. Do not carry pumpkins with lit candles inside, consider using battery-operated candles instead
- Children should always be supervised by a suitable adult
- Be aware that homemade fancy dress costumes or those not tested to the same flammability standards may ignite easily and burn quicker
- Ensure children can be seen in the dark - ideally, they should wear something reflective such as a reflective strip and carry a torch.
If you would like to find out more about Causeway Coast and Glens Borough Council’s role in consumer protection visit https://www.causewaycoastandglens.gov.uk/live/health-and-built-environment/commercial/consumer-protection/.