In a social media post a spokesperson for Coleraine Coastguard said that they responded to 7 incidents in a 5 hour period.
The post is as follows….
1. Shortly after 1500 the Coleraine CG Team was tasked to the River Foyle, following reports of children at risk on a sandbank, with an incoming tide. The children were brought to safety by a fisherman in the area at the time. Foyle SAR also responded to this incident.
2. The Coleraine CG Team was then tasked to Benone Strand to assist RNLI Lifeguards searching for two teenage girls, reported missing on their first bodyboarding outing. Portrush Inshore Lifeboat was also tasked. The two girls were located safely after a search of the area.
3. While on Benone Strand, the CG Team was approached by a distressed mother who had lost sight of her child in the water. The missing child was located safely after a brief search.
4. As the last incident was concluding, concerns were expressed to the Coastguard Team for the safety of two people in the water, some distance offshore. The RNLI Beachguards directed their jetski to the swimmers and established that they were safe.
5. As the Coleraine CG left Benone Strand, they were redirected to Portstewart Strand, following another missing child report. The child was located safely.
6. Shortly after returning to Station, the Coleraine CG Team was tasked to the White Rocks end of the East Strand following a report from RNLI Lifeguards of a missing three year old boy (ironically dressed in his own miniature lifeguard wetsuit). A subsequent search by Coastguards, RNLI Lifeguards and the ILB established that the missing child had walked the entire length of the beach to the Portrush end of the strand. He was taken into the care of the Coastguard Team and returned to his anxious parents.
7. At 1938 the Coleraine Coastguard Team was again tasked to the East Strand, following a report of an unresponsive male casualty lying on the beach. PSNI and Ambulance personnel were also on scene. The casualty was quickly located by PSNI and Coastguard personnel. He was subsequently taken into custody by the Police.