In the lead up to Thursday’s Assembly Elections, East Londonderry PUP candidate, Councillor Russell Watton is calling on working class people to ‘avail of their vote and demand a change.’
In a statement, Councillor Watton said : “On Thursday 5th May voters will be forced with a choice,are you happy with the past record of your public representatives or do you feel they have failed ordinary people; often putting political ambition before public well-being and self interest before service?”
“When Sinn Fein accused me of sectarianising local issues they ignored the following:
- Working class Protestant males rank only ahead of Irish traveller and Roma children on a UK wide scale of educational underachievement.
- Young people from Protestant backgrounds are over 40% more likely to be unemployed than their catholic neighbours.
Would Sinn Fein be silent in the face of such disgraceful facts if this was happening to the wider Nationalist/Republican community? Of course not, they would be shouting from the rooftops, there would be calls for public enquiries etc. Mainstream Unionism has either covered up or simply ignored these facts.”
“I have worked tirelessly for ordinary working people over the last two years as a Councillor in Causeway Coast and Glens.”
“In the last two weeks I have ;
- Rehoused 5 local families in Coleraine area Sorted out 4 housing maintenance issues
- Reported on a number of “dole drop” houses, with the hope of releasing some much needed housing stock.
- Managed to get progress on upgrading of Macosquin football pitch and changing facilities.
- Liaised with PSNI on the common goal of putting the leading drug barons in our area out of business.
“Not bad work for a solitary Councillor working without the back up the mainstream parties have, but a lot more could be tackled as an MLA with fellow PUP Assembly members.”
“I would appeal to ordinary working people, particularly in the Unionist community to avail of their vote and demand a change.”
“Do not heed the scare tactics of Arlene Foster that Martin McGuinness could become First Minister, remember who did the dirty deal that put Sinn Fein in Government as joint partners for the last nine years.”
“Who went back to the Executive after the Chief Constable confirmed the IRA Army Council remains intact and are actively in control of Sinn Fein, that they are still armed and were responsible for the murder of Kevin McGuigan?”
“There will be no empty promises from this candidate, if you feel we all deserve better then vote for change and the voice we deserve. It’s time to put Country before Party and put people first.”
“If you require assistance getting to the polling station please contact me on 07981 545952 or 07561 438373.”