Councillors this evening approved a new venue location and dates for a new International Airshow for 2022, to mark the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee.
Dates approved are 10th and 11th September 2022.
The new flight path will see spectators viewing from the A2 Coast Road, between Portrush and Portstewart.
Airwaves Portrush was called off in February 2020 due to having its funding withdrawn as the council tried to slash its £68.7m debt.
The aims of the new air show are:
• To celebrate the Queens Platinum Jubilee.
• Drive economic and tourism benefit through attracting visits, bed nights and spend from Northern Ireland’s domestic and international target markets/segments through a high-quality, distinctive programme;
• In doing so - extends the tourism season, while delivering an authentic sense of place based on the heritage, culture, and landscape of Causeway Coast and Glens.
• To act as a regional event for Northern Ireland which enhances the image, profile, and reputation of Causeway Coast and Glens as Northern Ireland’s premier rural and coastal tourist destination.
• To act as an economic driver through linkage to the Northern Ireland aerospace industry, providing a catalyst for creativity, innovation and distinctiveness. The event is supported and promoted by partners and stakeholders within and outside the Council.
The final decision will be ratified at full council next month.
The budget of the event is yet to be confirmed but it is expected to exceed £210,000.