AN investigation is underway after a fire broke out overnight at Robert McAllister's house (76) in the Brone Park area of Garvagh.
Due to the property being in a remote location, it was only reported to police shortly after 9am this morning.
The homeowner was not at home at the time.
A PSNI spokesperson said "There were no reports of any injuries as a result of the fire which is being treated as suspicious at this time.
"Anyone with any information about this incident or who may be able to help with the investigation, is asked to call officers in Limavady on the non-emergency number 101 quoting reference number 683 30/01/22, or submit a report online using the non-emergency reporting form via http://www.psni.police.uk/makeareport/.
"You can also contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or online at http://crimestoppers-uk.org/."
Councillor Helena Dallat O'Driscoll said "I am very relieved that the owner of this property was not present at the time of the fire but my sympathies are with her as the loss of her property will no doubt be deeply distressing.
"The fact that the PSNI has now confirmed they are treating this as suspicious is very worrying and will come as a shock to those in the local community. I would encourage anyone with information about this incident to come forward and assist the PSNI with their enquiries.
"I have also been in contact with the NI Fire and Rescue Service and would like to thank them for their response in dealing with the incident."