A BALLYCASTLE man was refused bail on July 8 after appearing in court charged with a number of driving offences.
Jack Carson, of Carnduff Park, faced a charge of dangerous driving at Quay Road, Ballycastle, on Saturday July 6.
He is also accused of driving a Volkswagen Bora without insurance or a licence, failing to stop after an accident, failing to remain at the accident scene and failing to report the accident.
Carson, 20, is also accused of obstructing a police constable in the execution of his duty and driving while disqualified on the same date.
Opposing a bail application, a police constable said officers had received a report of a hit and run head-on collision which had caused extensive damage to the Bora and a BMW X3.
The BMW driver said the Bora was on the wrong side of the road.
At one stage the Bora driver ran off and officers had been approached by a council employee who had spotted the Bora being driven along the seafront about 20 minutes before the crash, the court was told.
Carson was allegedly found walking in the Ballycastle area and give false details, the constable said, before later confirming his true identity. He was arrested and taken to Coleraine custody suite.
The constable said bail was being opposed on the grounds that Carson, who has 22 previous motoring offences, was likely to re-offend.
The court heard the defendant had a number of driving whilst disqualified convictions with the most recent being in court less than a month ago.
In Carson’s defence, the court was told that he had denied the offences during interview.
The police officer said police believed the Bora was Carson’s and said the defendant’s explanation that he sold it the the previous evening was thought to be false.
The court heard the defendant has a “mental age of twelve”.
District Judge Liam McNally, who recalled how he had given Carson a combination order on June 17 this year for his fourth driving while disqualified offence, reflected: “I probably should have sent you to prison; it looks as if you didn’t take the chance.”
At Coleraine Magistrates Court on July 8 the judge refused the bail application and remanded Carson in custody until August 5.