Whoa! Averaging 66,000 Unique Weekly Readers! 

Local News

Ballymoney man accused of ‘assault’ was allegedly involved in ‘prolonged coughing’ at start of covid lockdown

1 Mins read
BT Coleraine

A COURT has heard an allegation of common assault being faced by a man relates to an alleged incident of “prolonged coughing” at the start of the coronavirus lockdown period in March this year.

Joel Gault (22), of The Warren, Ballymoney, is charged in relation to March 21.

A defence solicitor told Coleraine Magistrates Court on October 19 that a number of still photographs from CCTV had been served in evidence.

She said the allegation was “prolonged coughing” and said she had looked at still photos which while they show “some quite strange behaviour” they didn’t appear to show him coughing.

She said another photo showed the defendant trying to “possibly hug a lady” but said she was the not the subject matter of the assault charge, the solicitor said.

The lawyer wanted to know if there was actual CCTV footage.

A prosecutor said there had been CCTV footage but it had been “lost”.

The defence solicitor said she should be able to give the attitude of the defendant to the charge by October 30.
The lawyer said she was aware that an assault did not have to be “physical”.

The solicitor added: “It was really just about the time, it was the weekend before, lockdown. He had, unfortunately, some sort of a cough three weeks prior to that, never was tested, but appears not to have been covid.”

District Judge Peter King said it was a “slightly bizarre case.”

The judge said he was concerned by the allegation of “deliberate coughing, at one level, post-lockdown”.

11357 posts

About author
An article that is attributed to the Causeway Coast Community Team has either involved multiple authors, written by a contributor or the main body of content is from a press release. Got a news-related tip you’d like to see covered on Causeway Coast Community? Email us - [email protected]
Articles
Related posts
Local News

NI Executive agrees multi-million Covid support funding

2 Mins read
FacebookTwitterPinterestWhatsAppFinance Minister, Conor Murphy has announced a £300million support package including over £200million for businesses and £98million of Covid-19 funding to support…
Local News

Archibald welcomes £95m high street voucher initiative

1 Mins read
FacebookTwitterPinterestWhatsAppSinn Féin MLA Caoimhe Archibald has welcomed the announcement of a £95 million high street voucher scheme to support local businesses struggling…
Local News

Ní Chuilín - £44million in Covid-19 Heating Payments to issue by January 2021

1 Mins read
FacebookTwitterPinterestWhatsAppCommunities Minister Carál Ní Chuilín has welcomed £44.3million of Executive funding for a Covid-19 Heating Payment for older people and those in…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *