Causeway Coast and Glens Borough Council is reminding householders about the dangers associated with blind cords.
It follows the death of a young child in County Cork who passed away following an accident in her home.
Over 30 children aged between 15 months and three years have died as a result of blind cord accidents in the UK between 1999 and 2015.
The Mayor of Causeway Coast and Glens Borough Council Councillor Brenda Chivers said: “The tragic news which has emerged from County Cork this month is a stark reminder of how dangerous blind cords can be.
“Council’s Home Safety Team can carry out a home safety visit for households with children aged under 5 and provide advice including where to purchase the correct blind cord safety device and how to fit them. As part of a home safety visit Council can also provide free home safety equipment to eligible households. I want to take this opportunity to urge all parents, grandparents, family members and carers to ensure their homes are blind-cord safe. Accidents can happen so quickly but we can take steps to guard against them.”
From 2014, stringent new standards governing the manufacture, selling and installation of new internal window blinds came into effect. However, many properties across the area will feature blinds installed before this time.
Blind cords can have such a devastating effect because toddlers’ windpipes are not fully developed and are smaller and less rigid than those of adults and older children. This means that they suffocate far more quickly if their necks are constricted.
Anyone who would like to find out more about Council’s Home Safety services should ring 028 2766 0257.