Whoa! Averaging 66,000 Unique Weekly Readers! 

Local News

Court Hears Full File Is Still Awaited In Case Of Coleraine Man Who Allegedly Had ‘Sexually Explicit Online Chats With Paedophile Hunters Posing As 13-Year-Old Girls’

2 Mins read

A PROSECUTION lawyer told a court on October 8 they are still awaiting a full file in connection with a Coleraine man who allegedly had sexually explicit online chats with so-called paedophile-hunting volunteers posing as 13-year-old girls.

Harold Burke (58), whose address was given as Quilly Road near Coleraine, appeared at Coleraine Magistrates Court via video link from Maghaberry Prison where he has been on remand. Defence solicitor Ciaran Shiels told the court the full file had been due the previous Friday but a prosecutor said it still had not been received and asked for another week in connection with the case.

Mr Shiels said if the file was not received soon it was possible his client would make a bail application and said an address is available. District Judge Peter King said he was aware a date had been missed in connection with the submission of the files to the Public Prosecution Service and he was monitoring the situation.

Burke was further remanded in custody and the case listed for a mention at court on October 12 ahead of the defendant appearing again via video link on October 15. Bail had previously been refused at Belfast High Court.

Burke is charged with two counts of attempted sexual communication with a child and two of inciting a child to engage in sexual activity. He is also accused of possessing 370 rounds of .22 ammunition in suspicious circumstances. In August, the High Court was told Burke allegedly exchanged more than 100 messages and offered to meet one of the “decoys”.

Burke was arrested in July after police were contacted by a group called Decoy Central.

Crown lawyer Catherine Chasemore told the High Court in August that information was supplied about his alleged online conversations with two people portraying themselves as schoolgirls. According to the prosecution, however, they were really adult volunteers acting as decoys.

During the alleged exchanges they clearly purported to be aged 13, making references to their parents and school libraries. The conversations were explicit and included various graphic requests from Burke, Mrs Chasemore claimed.

She said the accused offered to meet one of the decoys, although no confirmed arrangements were made. Copies of the alleged chat logs were given to the PSNI, with 119 messages screen saved. When police arrested the accused and carried out searches at his home ammunition was discovered in a utility room safe, the court was told.

Opposing bail, Mrs Chasemore claimed Burke showed no remorse for his alleged actions during interviews. She also submitted to August’s court that a strong threat against Burke existed within the Coleraine and Limavady areas.

“Police are very concerned about public order,” she added. But focusing instead on the risk of re-offending, Mr Justice Colton responded: “I don’t believe the court should be dictated to by the mob.” Defence counsel stressed at the High Court that Burke must still be presumed innocent.

He described his client as a man struggling with loneliness following the death of his mother. “It’s a fairly solitary life, he now lives in his parents’ old house on his own,” the barrister said. He contended that the ammunitions charge was “an oddity”, disclosing that Burke’s father had at one stage been involved in the munitions trade.

The accused knew nothing about the bullets found in a rusted shut safe which was only opened by trained police, the court heard. Denying bail in August, Mr Justice Colton had expressed concern about a potential escalation in alleged offending.

The judge said at the time: “The applicant is clearly an unsuitable candidate for bail.”

11460 posts

About author
An article that is attributed to the Causeway Coast Community Team has either involved multiple authors, written by a contributor or the main body of content is from a press release. Got a news-related tip you’d like to see covered on Causeway Coast Community? Email us - [email protected]
Articles
Related posts
Local News

Christmas bubbling arrangements

7 Mins read
FacebookTwitterPinterestWhatsAppIt is important that everyone stays safe at Christmas. From 23 to the 27 December, limited changes are being made to household…
Local News

Ministers outline new Covid-19 measures

2 Mins read
FacebookTwitterPinterestWhatsAppMinisters have outlined a package of measures agreed by the Executive that will come into effect at the end of the two…
Local News

Woman who shouted in street in a row about money has today been jailed for 14 months

1 Mins read
FacebookTwitterPinterestWhatsAppA WOMAN with over 140 convictions who was shouting in a street in a dispute about money has been given a 14…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *