Whoa! Averaging 66,000 Unique Weekly Readers! 

Local News

Elderly couple aged 84 and 79 are ‘terrified’ that burglars could return, court hears

1 Mins read

An elderly couple – aged 84 and 79 – have been left “terrified in their home own home” that burglars who took jewellery, watches and gift vouchers – will return, a court has heard.

Coleraine Magistrates Court, on Monday, heard there had been a burglary at a dwelling at Finvoy Road, Ballymoney, on July 22 this year.

Three men originally from Slovakia – Mikulas Dansco (45), his son Robert Grulyo (18) and Edward Nemet (26) – all of the same address at Fingal Street in Belfast, are charged with burglary and going equipped for burglary with latex gloves and a screwdriver.

They appeared at court via video link from Maghaberry and Hydebank prisons.

A police officer objected to bail saying he believed if released the men were a flight risk.
He said the burglary victims were “vulnerable” elderly people who are “terrified in their own home” that the burglars will return.

The officer said a vehicle the three suspects had been stopped in had been reported in the Ballyrashane area near Coleraine on July 10 this year when a resident said two males had tried the front and back doors of a property.

Deputy District Judge Austin Kennedy noted that after the Ballymoney burglary the defendants had been arrested in a vehicle and suspected stolen items had been found.

He said the burglary involved elderly people aged 79 and 84 and was a “very very nasty incident”.

The judge said the property “may well have been scouted out in advance”.

He said he was concerned that if released on bail “we will never see them again and they will go back to their own jurisdiction”.

The judge refused bail and the case was adjourned to September.

11058 posts

About author
An article that is attributed to the Causeway Coast Community Team has either involved multiple authors, written by a contributor or the main body of content is from a press release. Got a news-related tip you’d like to see covered on Causeway Coast Community? Email us - [email protected]
Articles
Related posts
BusinessLocal News

Dodds announces Covid Restrictions Business Support Scheme

2 Mins read
FacebookTwitterPinterestWhatsAppEconomy Minister Diane Dodds today announced details of a new support scheme to help businesses affected by the restrictions announced by the…
Local News

Man is accused of breaking 60mph speed limit

1 Mins read
FacebookTwitterPinterestWhatsAppA MAN is accused of excess speed by doing more than 60mph. Paul Jonathan McLernon (32), of Carneety Terrace, Castlerock, is charged…
Local News

Teenager is accused of using a Lexus without insurance

1 Mins read
FacebookTwitterPinterestWhatsAppA 19-year-old man is accused of using a Lexus IS200 without insurance. Gary Kelly, of Isle Road, Coleraine, is charged in relation…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *