Whoa! Averaging 66,000 Unique Weekly Readers! 

Local News

EXCLUSIVE : Mermaid Cave Or Money Pit?

1 Mins read
BT Coleraine

We recently reported that fencing had been erected around the grounds of Dunluce Castle due to health and safety reasons. A spokesperson for the Department of Communities at that stage in a statement said that it was of “paramount importance for both staff and the visiting public”.

At the time of this communication we were led to believe that works in question were not due to only health and safety reasons but for a much bigger project. After numerous emails to the department, we received the response this morning that they are intending that visitors will pay for entry at a point prior to access to the Mermaid’s cave. The spectacular Mermaid’s Cave is a huge cavern 25 metres below the castle and has always been free to access.

Ald. Norman Hillis commented: “I believe that Dunluce Castle is a great place to visit and that the many International visitors, as well as local visitors, have a really good experience at the Castle and that the staff there are very helpful and knowledgeable. I am told that entrance to the grounds has in the past been free as was entrance to the cave below but is now going to be charged for. I suppose given the high cost of maintaining historic sites such as the Castle, the Department needs to maximise their income. Up to now charges have been reasonable compared to some nearby visitor attractions like the Giant’s Causeway. If a new charging regime is to take place I hope some of the increased income will be used to give visitors an even better experience during their visit.”

A Spokesperson for the Department Of Communities this morning said: “The Department has reviewed the arrangements for the management of visitors at Dunluce Castle. This is a popular site, with another year of increased visitor numbers in 2017. Controlled access point to the castle complex – including the grounds and the lands at the cave below the castle – is now in the process of being changed, and it is intended that visitors will pay for entry at a point prior to access to the cave. This will support the safe management of visits to the site.”

11383 posts

About author
An article that is attributed to the Causeway Coast Community Team has either involved multiple authors, written by a contributor or the main body of content is from a press release. Got a news-related tip you’d like to see covered on Causeway Coast Community? Email us - [email protected]
Articles
Related posts
Local News

Further adjournment at Coleraine Court: 'Knifeman goaded police officer to kill him by suicide-by-cop’ before allegedly barricading his home and launching fireworks at PSNI

4 Mins read
FacebookTwitterPinterestWhatsAppA MAN with a ‘knife’ who was allegedly “goading” a PSNI officer to shoot him in a “suicide-by-cop” incident before barricading himself…
Local News

Temporary extension to Sunday trading hours during December

1 Mins read
FacebookTwitterPinterestWhatsAppLarger shops and supermarkets within Causeway Coast and Glens will be permitted to open two hours earlier than usual on Sundays during…
Local News

Man is accused in relation to alleged Christmas Day incident

1 Mins read
FacebookTwitterPinterestWhatsAppA 73-year-old Portrush man denies charges in relation to an alleged incident on Christmas Day last year. Derek Ridley, of Knox Park,…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *