Whoa! Averaging 66,000 Unique Weekly Readers! 

Local News

Forty four years ago today the IRA were responsible for killing 6 people in Coleraine

1 Mins read

Forty four years ago today the IRA were responsible for killing 6 people in Coleraine ( all pensioners ) and injuring 33 others, some of them schoolchildren in their car bomb attack on the town.

Speaking to Causeway Coast Community this morning Councillor William McCandless said “Every year I remember this event, it has been implanted on my mind and I will never forget this barbaric act. I was 20 years of age, working in the town and I will always remember the panic as I thought 3 of my immediate family had been victims of the blast in Railway Rd. Fortunately they weren’t but it took about an hour to determine this, remember this was in an age before mobile phones. I was frantically running around until I found them and also received news that my father had been transferred to work in Ballymoney that day.

The first bomb detonated in Railway Rd. @ 15:00 hrs, the 2nd car bomb detonated 5 mins later at Hanover Place and this served to add to the panic and confusion in the area.

I have always said that no one had to die to achieve politically what has been achieved to this day and the violence served upon the citizens of Northern Ireland and other parts of the British Isles was unnecessary and has left deep mental scars with thousands of people.

I would appeal that people from all sections of our community take a moment today to reflect, remember this tragic event and resolve to work together to prevent any reoccurrence of violence upon our streets.”

11073 posts

About author
An article that is attributed to the Causeway Coast Community Team has either involved multiple authors, written by a contributor or the main body of content is from a press release. Got a news-related tip you’d like to see covered on Causeway Coast Community? Email us - [email protected]
Articles
Related posts
Local News

Man charged with two reports of sexual assault

1 Mins read
FacebookTwitterPinterestWhatsAppDetectives investigating two reports of sexual assault in Antrim on 23rd October have charged a 19-year-old male. The male has been charged…
Local News

Man released as part of ongoing investigations into criminality linked to north Antrim UDA

1 Mins read
FacebookTwitterPinterestWhatsAppA 37-year-old man arrested by detectives from Criminal Investigations Branch in Causeway Coast and Glens on Saturday 24th October, as part of…
Local News

Man is charged with series of drugs offences

1 Mins read
FacebookTwitterPinterestWhatsAppA MAN is charged with a series of drugs offences. Christopher Charles O’Reilly (28), with addresses given as Church Street in Portstewart…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *