Over 40 participants took part in Causeway Coast and Glens Borough Council’s Good Relations visit to Drumalis House.
The day provided an opportunity to learn more about the retreat centre in Larne, which is owned and managed by the Sisters of the Cross and Passion, a ministry of reconciliation and nurturing. The house itself has a diverse history, and was built by Hugh Smiley in 1872 who added to it in stages right up to his death in 1909.
The Drumalis grounds are the location of the famous Larne gun running in 1912, providing a direct route from the harbour to towns and villages across County Antrim. Participants also enjoyed a walking tour of Ballycarry, ably facilitated by well-known historian David Hume. They heard about the history of the village, which is home to the oldest congregation in the Presbyterian Church in Ireland, founded in 1613. The tour featured the rich Ulster Scots heritage of the village and highlighted the life and times of James Orr (1770-1816) an outstanding Weaver Poet. His life encapsulates the most radical period of Ulster Scots history when the east Ulster Presbyterians took part in the United Irish Rebellion of 1798.
The programme which is funded through the Executive Office’s Together: Building a United Community Strategy, will continue in January 2020. If you would like more information please contact Bebhinn McKinley on 028 777 60312 or email [email protected]