Emergency services responded to an incident in the Cafe Lane area of Ballymoney this afternoon following a fire in a first floor flat at first thought to be a suspected gas leak.
Cllr Darryl Wilson “Had it not been for the rapid response of the emergency services we could have had a major and life-threatening incident on our hands”
The emergency services have responded today to an incident in the Cafe Lane area of Ballymoney. The incident took place mid-afternoon (Monday, 28th January 2019).
It is understood that a cooker hob or portable heater caused an aerosol canister to explode inside an apartment situated in Cafe lane.
Cllr Darryl Wilson went onto say “I was alarmed when I was notified about the incident which took place today in Cafe Lane. It is my understanding that no one sustained any serious injuries after the aerosol exploded within someone’s home, and that a dog which was located in the apartment had to be taken to a local vets for treatment.
Had it not been for the rapid response of the emergency services we could have had a major and life-threatening incident on our hands today, can I take this opportunity to commend the first responders/emergency services on their timely and professional response ”
Speaking to Causeway Coast Community, an eye witness said ‘I heard a loud bang, glass shattered into the courtyard, I then heard screaming and then I saw a dog leap from the upstairs window.”
A police spokesperson said ” Police received a report of a fire at a property in the Cafe Lane area of Ballymoney shortly before 1pm. At this time we are not treating it as suspicious”.
A spokesperson for Firmus said ” We attended the scene but the incident was not gas related”
It is understood that the dog was taken to a local vet.
No one was injured during the incident. The incident was dealt with at 2.15pm.
Picture : MCAULEY MULTIMEDIA