Whoa! Averaging 66,000 Unique Weekly Readers! 

Local News

Man Accused Of Attacking Former Partner With A Bar In Ballycastle Is Remanded In Custody

1 Mins read
BT Coleraine

A man accused of attacking his former partner with a bar was remanded into custody after appearing at Coleraine Magistrates Court on Monday.

Jason Turner (29), whose address was given as Allen Park in Donemana in County Tyrone, faces four charges relating to an alleged incident in Ballycastle, County Antrim, in the early hours of Sunday August 19.

The charges include attempted grievous bodily harm with intent on the woman; possession of an offensive weapon – a ‘metal or wood end bar’ – with intent to commit grievous bodily harm; assaulting the woman and criminal damage to windows and a door belonging to the woman.

A police officer said she believed she could connect the accused to the charges. Opposing bail, the police officer confirmed to a prosecutor that police received a call about a male walking around The Diamond area of Ballycastle with a crowbar. The officer said the victim said she was struck with an iron bar and after being brought home by people she knew she heard the sound of breaking glass at her house.

The court heard the victim had received injuries to her face and leg and went to the Causeway Hospital in Coleraine but left before seeing a doctor. Turner was located sleeping in a car at Hillside Road, Ballycastle, at 4.47am. The police officer objected to bail saying it was a “serious domestic assault” which involved a weapon and criminal damage had also been caused at the victim’s address. The officer said the defendant had a relevant previous conviction with a previous partner.

Defence solicitor Keith Kyle said Turner and the injured party in the present case had been together since January this year and separated in May. Mr Kyle said Turner accepted he had a verbal argument with the woman but denied any physical attack.

Deputy District Judge Brian Archer refused bail saying the defendant had a relevant record. He said the charges before the court were serious and he was concerned about a repetition.

The defendant was remanded in custody to appear back at the court via video link in September.

11383 posts

About author
An article that is attributed to the Causeway Coast Community Team has either involved multiple authors, written by a contributor or the main body of content is from a press release. Got a news-related tip you’d like to see covered on Causeway Coast Community? Email us - [email protected]
Articles
Related posts
Local News

Further adjournment at Coleraine Court: 'Knifeman goaded police officer to kill him by suicide-by-cop’ before allegedly barricading his home and launching fireworks at PSNI

4 Mins read
FacebookTwitterPinterestWhatsAppA MAN with a ‘knife’ who was allegedly “goading” a PSNI officer to shoot him in a “suicide-by-cop” incident before barricading himself…
Local News

Temporary extension to Sunday trading hours during December

1 Mins read
FacebookTwitterPinterestWhatsAppLarger shops and supermarkets within Causeway Coast and Glens will be permitted to open two hours earlier than usual on Sundays during…
Local News

Man is accused in relation to alleged Christmas Day incident

1 Mins read
FacebookTwitterPinterestWhatsAppA 73-year-old Portrush man denies charges in relation to an alleged incident on Christmas Day last year. Derek Ridley, of Knox Park,…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *