Whoa! We average 60,000+ unique weekly readers!

Local News

Man accused of kidnap has case further adjourned

1 Mins read

A MAN accused of kidnapping a man has had his case further adjourned.

William Christopher Kennedy (29), with an address listed as Moycraig Road near Bushmills, is also accused of stealing £500 from the man and aiding and abetting grievous bodily harm on the man.

The charges relate to December 10 last year.

The defendant was at Coleraine Magistrates Court on January 13.

A prosecutor said the full file in the case is not due until mid-February.

A defence solicitor said a “number of other suspects” are due to be spoken to by police.

The case was adjourned to March.

A previous court heard a man was subjected to a three hour kidnap ordeal in which he received broken ribs and a broken eye socket after being attacked with a knuckle duster.

A detective had told the court a “kidnapping incident” took place on Tuesday December 10.

She said the injured party named Kennedy and three other suspects as being involved.

The officer said the four suspects had gone to the man’s home and “invited him out for lunch” and in hindsight the victim believed it was a ploy to get him out of the property.

Two vehicles were used, one of which was later seized, and they travelled in convoy.

The detective had alleged Kennedy was driving one of the vehicles.

She said the victim was driven to a layby at Tesco in Portstewart where he was assaulted by another suspect.

The man was then driven to Ballymoney where a “shed was searched looking for cash” before he was brought to the Ballysally estate in Coleraine where the injured party got some money and handed it over.

The police officer said the victim escaped through a window and alleged that Kennedy gave chase.

The injured party was able to get another person to raise the alarm but another co-accused then threatened the victim saying he would “choke you out” and told him: “Get in the car I’m not finished with you”.

The court heard the man’s ordeal started at midday and the alarm was raised around 3pm.

A defence barrister told the earlier court the defendant had “given a complete denial” of the offences.

The defence lawyer said there had been “some discussion about broken ribs and a broken eye socket” and District Judge Peter King said there was the suggestion of injuries being caused by a knuckle duster.

10456 posts

About author
An article that is attributed to the Causeway Coast Community Team has either involved multiple authors, written by a contributor or the main body of content is from a press release. Got a news-related tip you’d like to see covered on Causeway Coast Community? Email us - [email protected]
Articles
Related posts
Local NewsSport

Major champions Greame McDowell and Justin Rose to play live exhibition match to celebrate the e-open presented by Mastercard

2 Mins read
FacebookTwitterPinterestWhatsAppMastercard ambassadors Justin Rose and Graeme McDowell will swap their clubs for their keyboards as they face off in an all-star live…
Local News

Executive urge public to ‘Wear one for Everyone’ as face coverings become mandatory

1 Mins read
FacebookTwitterPinterestWhatsAppShoppers are legally required to wear face coverings from today ( Monday 10th August ). The legislation applies to certain indoor settings,…
Local News

Archibald condemns Dungiven gun attack

1 Mins read
FacebookTwitterPinterestWhatsAppSinn Féin MLA Caoimhe Archibald has condemned a gun attack on a house in Dungiven. The East Derry MLA said: “This gun…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *