Whoa! Averaging 66,000 Unique Weekly Readers! 

Local News

Man who raised middle fingers in front of flute band is fined £500

1 Mins read

A MAN who raised two middle fingers as he crossed a road in front of a loyalist flute band has been fined £500. He had denied a second charge – disorderly behaviour – but after a contested hearing at Coleraine Magistrates Court he was convicted of that charge.

Praising police for their quick intervention, a judge said the incident in Portrush could easily have “escalated” resulting in much more serious disorder.

During the hearing the court was shown two mobile phone clips depicting events occurring on June 1 last year

Dooey was seen gesturing towards the parade passing along Kerr Street in front of Portrush Town hall.

With children clearly visible in the footage he is heard shouting “f**k you” twice as onlookers remonstrate with the defendant.

In the second clip showing events immediately afterwards, he crosses the road just feet from members of a band.

As he reaches the centre of the road, he faces them and raises both middle fingers above his head.

Dooey is jostled off the road and quickly surrounded by parade participants.

The court heard police officers arrived almost immediately.

A police officer said Dooey had apologised in the station and admitted he’d been an “idiot”.

According to a second police witness there had been “a lot of shouting going on” and Dooey had been in possession of an empty half-bottle of vodka.

Convicting the accused, District Judge Peter King said: “It is quite clear that not only was there a provocative act but your behaviour was absolutely disorderly”.

A defence lawyer said the impact of the incident had been “quite immense” on the defendant who “wants to try and put it behind him”.

Imposing fines totalling £500, Judge King told Dooey marchers had a right to hold parades and he had a right to protest.

“The issue is how you manifest that,” he added.

“This could easily have escalated in a way that could have caused a much more serious incident,” said the judge.

11056 posts

About author
An article that is attributed to the Causeway Coast Community Team has either involved multiple authors, written by a contributor or the main body of content is from a press release. Got a news-related tip you’d like to see covered on Causeway Coast Community? Email us - [email protected]
Articles
Related posts
Local News

Man is accused of breaking 60mph speed limit

1 Mins read
FacebookTwitterPinterestWhatsAppA MAN is accused of excess speed by doing more than 60mph. Paul Jonathan McLernon (32), of Carneety Terrace, Castlerock, is charged…
Local News

Teenager is accused of using a Lexus without insurance

1 Mins read
FacebookTwitterPinterestWhatsAppA 19-year-old man is accused of using a Lexus IS200 without insurance. Gary Kelly, of Isle Road, Coleraine, is charged in relation…
Local News

Ballymoney woman is accused of possessing Ecstasy

1 Mins read
FacebookTwitterPinterestWhatsAppA WOMAN is accused of possessing the Class A drug Ecstasy. Lisa Anne McComb (39), with an address given as Henry Street…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *