Following two house fires that occurred over the Christmas period in Magilligan and Dungiven SDLP East Derry MLA Gerry Mullan said:
“Thankfully, no human lives were lost but nevertheless two families have been left severely traumatised with one young nine year old boy receiving serious burns in one incident and two Shih Tzu dogs, unfortunately, dying in the other. Both of these incidents serve as a stark reminder to us all just how easily tragic accidents of this nature can occur, especially when least expected.
Urging the general public never to be complacent regarding their personal safety within the home Mr. Mullan went on to say:
“When freak accidents, as happened in Magilligan and Dungiven occur fire safety is obviously foremost on everyone’s mind and I would strongly advise the public to take extra precautions, particularly at this time of year when our homes tend to be festooned with Christmas decorations and lights, which can add to possible dangers. We should never be complacent and think that such things happen only to others. I would also recommend that fire alarms are checked regularly and that a call to the local fire service is made if any concerns are identified as they will be only too happy to offer advice and carry out any necessary fire checks. It is our personal responsibility to ensure our homes are as safe as possible.”