Whoa! Averaging 66,000 Unique Weekly Readers! 

Local News

Portrush jewellery robbery accused is released on bail

1 Mins read
DCIM100MEDIADJI_0053.JPG

A 22-year-old man who is one of two people charged in connection with an armed robbery in which jewellery was stolen from a shop in Portrush in November has been released on bail after spending almost four months in custody on remand.

Gioni Muntean, whose bail address is at Bennett Street in Derry/Londonderry, appeared at Coleraine Magistrates Court via video link from prison on Monday.

He is charged with robbing Dunluce Street Antiques of jewellery and faces a second charge of possessing an offensive weapon – a knife – with intent to commit robbery.

The court heard he had links to addresses in the Republic of Ireland and Yorkshire and that police in England had been trying to find the defendant but thought he was in Romania.

A defence lawyer said Muntean had now a bail address with a “family friend” in Northern Ireland and that his client had spent almost four months in custody.

Muntean’s father and brother were in court and handed in a cash surety of £2,000.

The defendant was released on his own bail of £750 along with the £2,000 surety to the address in the north west.

He has a 9pm-8am curfew; will be electronically tagged; has to sign daily with police and is banned from entering Portrush.

The case was adjourned to April 8.

A co-accused – who was 16 when he first appeared at court last year and cannot be named because of his age – faces the same two charges. He was previously given bail.

Digital Editorial Team
12661 posts

About author
An article that is attributed to the Causeway Coast Community Team has either involved multiple authors, written by a contributor or the main body of content is from a press release. Got a news-related tip you’d like to see covered on Causeway Coast Community? Email us - [email protected]
Articles
Related posts
Local News

BBC Spotlight : Selling Off The Causeway Coast

1 Mins read
BBC Spotlight is set to televise an investigation carried out by reporter Conor Spackman surrounding the selling of land on the Causeway…
Local News

Man used uninsured motorbike to get to 'dole office after missing bus'

1 Mins read
A Cushendall man caught using a motorbike without insurance at Parkway in Ballymena said he was using it to get to the…
Local News

Scene is set for major film production at Ballintoy

1 Mins read
Scenes for the adventure/fantasy film Dungeons & Dragons, set to be released in the US in March of 2023 will be filmed…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *