A service to commemorate the 45th anniversary of the Coleraine bombing will take place on Sunday 10th June 2018 at 2pm. The service will be held at The Diamond in Coleraine. Members of the public are invited to attend.
Speaking to Causeway Coast Community, Councillor William McCandless said “I would appeal to members of the public to join with Councillors on Sun. 10th June @ 14:00 at the Diamond Coleraine to commemorate the 45th anniversary of what is known as “the forgotten bomb”.
“On 12th June 1973 the Provisional IRA detonated two car bombs in Coleraine, one at Railway Road killing six people and injuring thirty three. The 2nd bomb exploded 5 minutes later at Hanover Place.
The innocent victims were Elizabeth Craigmile, Robert Scott, Dinah Campbell, Francis Campbell, Nan Davis and Elizabeth Palmer.
This atrocity led to a violent backlash throughout the Province from Loyalist Paramilitaries.
Every year I remember this barbaric event, it has been implanted on my mind and I will always remember the feeling of panic as I went searching for three members of my immediate family as I was concerned that had been in the vicinity of Railway Road. Remember this was in an age before mobile phones.
I have always said that no one had to die to achieve politically where we are at today and the violence served upon the citizens of Northern Ireland and other parts of the U.K. was unnecessary and has left deep mental scars with thousands of people.
Therefore, to that end, please join with us to remember this tragic event and resolve to work together to prevent any reoccurrence of violence upon our streets. Violence is never the answer.”