Whoa! Averaging 66,000 Unique Weekly Readers! 

Local News

Three men accused of ‘distraction’ burglary at couple aged 84 and 79 are further remanded in custody

1 Mins read

THREE men accused of stealing jewellery in a ‘distraction’ burglary at the home of an elderly couple aged 84 and 79, have been further remanded in custody after a police officer objected to bail.

Mikulas Dansco (45), his son Robert Grulyo (18) and Edward Nemet (27) – all of the same address at Fingal Street in Belfast – are charged with burglary and going equipped for burglary with latex gloves and a screwdriver.

Jewellery, watches and gift vouchers were taken during a burglary at a dwelling at Finvoy Road, Ballymoney, on July 22 this year.

At Coleraine Magistrates Court on December 16 a police officer said the elderly couple was left “terrified in their own home” that the burglars would return.

The officer feared that if released on bail the defendants could leave the jurisdiction and there was a risk of intimidation of witnesses.

A defence lawyer said the men had been in custody in relation to the charges for several months.

Police told a previous court a male had called at the house in the afternoon and after a “distraction” was created another male entered the home and stole items.

A neighbour saw a Ford Kuga car leaving. It was registered to Dansco and was stopped near Antrim town where jewellery matching the description of that stolen was seized and three males were arrested.
Gloves and a screwdriver were also found.

The previous court heard the men were also interviewed in relation to an attempted burglary in July this year at Ballyrashane Road near Coleraine.

At court on December 16, District Judge Peter King refused bail.

The court heard a Preliminary Enquiry – the legal step to send a case to the Crown Court – is due to be held at the end of January.

11066 posts

About author
An article that is attributed to the Causeway Coast Community Team has either involved multiple authors, written by a contributor or the main body of content is from a press release. Got a news-related tip you’d like to see covered on Causeway Coast Community? Email us - [email protected]
Articles
Related posts
Local News

Man is accused of driving dangerously in Ballymoney

1 Mins read
FacebookTwitterPinterestWhatsAppA MAN is accused of driving dangerously at Queen Street in Ballymoney on April 1 this year. William John Ashe (39), of…
Local News

Man is accused of driving with excess alcohol in Ballymoney

1 Mins read
FacebookTwitterPinterestWhatsAppA MAN is accused of driving with excess alcohol at Ballymoney’s Ballymena Road. Manus Edward Brolly (40), with an address at Main…
Local News

Man faces charges including possessing hurling stick as 'offensive weapon'

1 Mins read
FacebookTwitterPinterestWhatsAppA MAN from the Rasharkin area is accused of offences which, according to the charge sheet, include an allegation of possessing a…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *