Armed Forces Day is a UK national event held annually on the last Saturday in June. Prior to the national event, there are regional events held in towns and cities throughout the UK. In Northern Ireland, the 2018 regional event will be held in Coleraine on Saturday 23rd June 2018. Causeway Coast and Glens Borough Council are facilitating the successful delivery of this event.
Armed Forces Day
The UK Armed Forces defend the UK and its interests. They are busy working around the world, promoting peace, delivering aid, tackling drug smugglers, providing security and fighting terrorism. Armed Forces Day is a chance to show your support for the men and women who make up the Armed Forces community: from currently serving troops to Service families, veterans and cadets. Showing support for the Armed Forces provides a much valued morale boost for the troops and their families.
There are expected to be up to 50,000 people in Coleraine town centre on the Saturday 23rd June 2018, enjoying the Armed Forces Day spectacle of several military band parades. With such a high number of visitors to the town, the Council are keen that the event will pass smoothly and it will be an enjoyable experience for all.
Role of Volunteer Ambassadors
Volunteer Ambassadors will provide a first point of contact for visitors to Coleraine, coming to enjoy Armed Forces Day on Saturday 23rd June 2018. Volunteers will be responsible for meeting, greeting and providing information to visitors at various locations across the town centre.
Tasks will include:
- Meeting and greeting visitors
- Directional general signposting / orientation for visitors
- Providing basic event information to visitors
- Providing directional information for visitors to town centre shops, café’s and restaurants, restroom facilities etc
- Handing out town promotional materials
- Good knowledge of Coleraine town centre i.e. where things are and how long it might take to walk between various places
- Be supportive of the principles and objectives of Armed Forces Day
- Good interpersonal skills. Friendly approachable manner with the ability to communicate clearly to a wide range of people, including the elderly, visitors in an unfamiliar place etc
- To enjoy and be good at helping people
- Patience and willingness to answer a wide variety of questions, many of which might be repeated multiple times
- Ability to be on your feet and mobile for prolonged periods of time
- Having to answer similar questions from multiple people
- Dealing with the pressure of large numbers of people passing between points in a town centre
- Working outside in variable weather conditions
- Dealing on the spot with unforeseen issues as they arise
- Keeping a positive and friendly attitude throughout the day
Volunteers will be based in pairs at the following locations across Coleraine town centre:
- Coleraine Train Station/Bus Station
- Coleraine Leisure Centre car park
- Town centre: Church Street and the Diamond
- Town centre public car parks
- Old Bridge
- Christie Park
Support, supervision, training
It is a requirement that all volunteers are able to attend an orientation session prior to the Armed Forces Day event. The training will be in Coleraine on Tuesday 19 June, 6pm-7.30pm. Support will be provided from the Volunteer Leader or from a staff member from Volunteer Now. Volunteers should be able to ask for help as and when required.
Volunteers will be provided with a branded hi-vis vest.
We would ask that volunteers wear their own comfortable footwear.
Out of Pocket Expenses
Vouchers will be provided for food in a café / restaurant in the town centre.
Armed Forces Day in Northern Ireland
Saturday 23rd June
Coleraine, Town Centre
10.00am – 4.30pm (10am-2pm and 12pm-4.30pm shifts available)