Whoa! Averaging 66,000 Unique Weekly Readers! 

BallymenaNI News

MEA Glenarm school demolition

1 Mins read

A planning application has been lodged with Mid and East Antrim Borough Council for the demolition of the former Glenarm Primary School.

The site at Straidkilly Road had been put on the market by the local authority for £250,000.

An application for the demolition of the former school, which has been closed since 2005, has been made by Antrim Estates Company at Glenarm Castle.

The 9.5 acre site adjacent to the castle is currently used for grazing and as an overflow area for events.

It was advertised for sale as a “village centre regeneration and development opportunity”.

The application says that demolition of the school building will “make way for a new chapter in the tourism and community regeneration of Glenarm Castle and village”.

It also states that since the closure of the school, the building has been “severely vandalised, has deteriorated extensively and is now in a derelict and unsafe state”.

Glamping pods have already been opened by the company on a one hectare site in the grounds of the 17th century castle with glamping or glamorous camping increasing in popularity.

A recent post by Glenarm Castle on social media said: “Although the pandemic has had a major impact on our business, it has allowed us the opportunity to review our current offering and make improvements and enhancements.

“We are delighted to have received support from Tourism NI which has enabled us to develop a range of brand new visitor experiences to compliment our existing offering.”

Digital Editorial Team
12423 posts

About author
An article that is attributed to the Causeway Coast Community Team has either involved multiple authors, written by a contributor or the main body of content is from a press release. Got a news-related tip you’d like to see covered on Causeway Coast Community? Email us - [email protected]
Articles
Related posts
BallymenaLocal News

Low key ceremony' due to Covid restrictions

2 Mins read
Mid and East Antrim Borough Council is to confer the Freedom of the Borough on six times World Superbike Champion Jonathan Rea…
BallymenaNI News

Mid & East Antrim protest cancelled

1 Mins read
The organisers said to be behind a protest expected to take place in Larne on Friday evening have said it is cancelled….
NI News

CEO of Jet2.com and Jet2holidays responds to Global Travel Taskforce Framework

2 Mins read
Statement on the Global Travel Taskforce Framework Steve Heapy, CEO of Jet2.com and Jet2holidays, said: “We have taken time to study the…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *