Whoa! Averaging 66,000 Unique Weekly Readers! 

NI News

Long welcomes next phase of prisons’ Covid recovery plan

1 Mins read
News

Justice Minister Naomi Long has welcomed a further easing of prison restrictions introduced during the Covid pandemic, with the phased resumption of offender management programmes. Prisons will also work with their education partners to resume some class based learning.

The announcement follows the reintroduction of in-person prison visits and the phased return of pre-release testing.

Naomi Long said: “The decision to reintroduce offender management and to plan for the return of face to face learning is welcome but also vital as we move towards recovery during this pandemic. It demonstrates a measured proactive approach by Prison Service and its partners in education.”

Director General Ronnie Armour said: “Our primary focus remains the safety of our staff and the people in our care. While we will continue to be vigilant against the spread of the virus, and may have to alter plans if the risks posed change, it is right that we should begin work to reintroduce a phased return of programmes that are central to rehabilitation and the resettlement of offenders back into the community.

“We will also be working closely with our education providers to ensure some classroom based learning can return in September. Learning and skills is a huge part of our work as it provides people in our care with skills and qualifications to gain employment when they return to the community.”

Ronnie Armour added: “At the end of last month we announced that plans and preparations for pre-release testing would begin on a phased approach. That will now go ahead with the phased re-opening of our working out units at Hydebank and Burren House. It is important that our prisons continue to progress through the pandemic and we will further ease restrictions where possible.”

11837 posts

About author
An article that is attributed to the Causeway Coast Community Team has either involved multiple authors, written by a contributor or the main body of content is from a press release. Got a news-related tip you’d like to see covered on Causeway Coast Community? Email us - [email protected]
Articles
Related posts
NI News

We cannot ease up in our fightback – Health Minister

1 Mins read
FacebookTwitterPinterestWhatsAppThat was the message from Health Minister Robin Swann as Northern Ireland’s most recent Covid-19 figures were announced and as hospitals here…
Local NewsNI News

Travel Corridor Suspended

1 Mins read
FacebookTwitterPinterestWhatsAppThe UK Government has announced that it is to suspend the travel corridor system until at least 15 February. This will come…
NI News

22-year-old Daryl Concepcion sentenced to 3 years and 6 months for rape of an 18 year old female

1 Mins read
FacebookTwitterPinterestWhatsAppDetectives have welcomed the conviction of 22-year-old Daryl Concepcion for rape. He appeared at Belfast Crown Court today, Friday 15th January and…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *