Whoa! Averaging 66,000 Unique Weekly Readers! 

NI News

Man Accused Of Assaulting His Ex-Partner Was Banned From The Property But Was Subsequently Found ‘Hiding In The Attic’ Of Her Home

2 Mins read
Coleraine Courthouse

A man accused of assaulting his ex-partner was originally given bail with a ban on returning to her Ballymena house but police subsequently found him “hiding in the attic” of the property, a court heard on Friday.

Mark Law (28), of Drumtara, Ballymena, was originally charged with assaulting the woman and damaging her property – also in Drumtara – during an alleged incident on Friday March 30.

As part of his original bail conditions he was not to have any contact with the woman; was not to be intoxicated in a public place and was not to be in the proximity of the woman’s house.

A police officer told Coleraine Magistrates Court on Friday that on March 30 police received a report of an ongoing domestic incident and the alleged injured party said there had been a verbal argument between her and Law.
The officer said the woman said the defendant had grabbed the alleged injured party by the arm and pulled her back into a property and he had also pulled her hair before the defendant allegedly damaged the living room window.

The officer said police were subsequently contacted on Thursday night, April 5, and the woman said she heard banging at the front door and she knew it was Law as he had been calling at her house and texting her and police were called.
The officer told the court that when police arrived the defendant “was found hiding in her attic”.

Defence solicitor Stephen McCann said his instructions were that the woman had phoned his client and asked him to come to the house and he had been “sitting watching television” when police arrived.
The lawyer claimed the woman told officers Law was not in the property but that his client had gone and “hid in the attic”.

The police officer told the court the woman admitted letting the defendant in to the house but said it was because he was “causing a scene” and she feared him causing damage.
Deputy District Judge Peter Magill re-admitted the defendant on the same terms of bail on the sum of £250 and reminded him of the conditions.
He added: “Let’s assume she telephoned you to come round and watch TV, you shouldn’t have gone”.

The judge said he would “take a chance” and release the defendant and added: “If this lady telephones you, hang up and call your solicitor and then call the police”.
The case was adjourned to Ballymena Magistrates Court on April 26.

11102 posts

About author
An article that is attributed to the Causeway Coast Community Team has either involved multiple authors, written by a contributor or the main body of content is from a press release. Got a news-related tip you’d like to see covered on Causeway Coast Community? Email us - [email protected]
Articles
Related posts
Local NewsNI News

Poots meets with Ardglass fishing industry

1 Mins read
FacebookTwitterPinterestWhatsAppFisheries Minister Edwin Poots MLA has met with fishermen and representatives of the fishing industry in Ardglass to discuss future opportunities for…
Local NewsNI News

Support Your Firefighters during COVID – 19 by Staying Safe this Halloween

2 Mins read
FacebookTwitterPinterestWhatsAppNorthern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service (NIFRS) has called on the community to avoid putting unnecessary pressure on their Firefighters during the…
Local NewsNI News

Dodds announces another 20 high quality training places on PwC Assured Skills Academy

2 Mins read
FacebookTwitterPinterestWhatsAppEconomy Minister Diane Dodds today announced a new PwC Assured Skills Academy offering 20 high quality training places to people with degrees….

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *